General McLane Track & Field: New Year, New Times

Sydney+Rotko+racing+in+the+100M+at+the+Harborcreek+meet.+

Mrs. Rotko

Sydney Rotko racing in the 100M at the Harborcreek meet.

Skyler Kyanvash, Reporter

On April 13, the General McLane Track and Field heading west to Conneaut, Ohio for their first meet of the year. 

During the meet many athletes kicked off the year by qualifying for districts including sophomore Kyle Birkmire running a 11.62 second 100M, freshman Cooper Robison high jumping 5’9”, sophomore Abby Walker running a 2:31 800M, and freshman Sydney Rotko a Freshman running a 13.1 100M, 27.1 200M, and a 1:04 400M. 

These were personal records for Rotko, who was later named the Erie County Female Athlete of the Week on April 23. “I was a little bit nervous since it was our first meet, but I enjoyed running against people,” Rotko commented.  

So far this season two other athletes have shattered school records.  On April 20, Senior Ryan Harvey broke the discus record set in 1998 with a throw of 164’5” at the Greenville meet.  He later bettered this mark with a PR of 177’4 on April 23.  Senior Dylan Throop broke his own school record for the 3200M, which he set earlier this season, at the Baldwin Invitational on May 7 with a time of 9:12:36.  He earned a silver medal in the event for this effort.  

Last year’s track season was cancelled due to Covid-19. As spring sports started this year, many were concerned how Covid could affect things, but so far so good.  Larger meets have being split into two days of competition often with one for the males and the other for females. But as Birmire explains it hasn’t affected the athletes much.  “I really don’t know the difference between [track] with or without Covid because I haven’t had the chance to do it without it.”

Rotko agrees that the pandemic has not had much of an influence thus far.  “Covid hasn’t affected track that much. Besides being cautious and wearing masks, races and meets are basically normal,” she stated.  

For many, competing provides a sense of normalcy in an abnormal year.  “I get to hang out with friends and compete in the middle of all this crazy Covid stuff,” stared senior Beau Caro.  

The track team is next in action at that the Erie County Classic on May 12 and 13.