Red Out For Awareness

Daniel Bruce, Reporter

On September 17, GMHS, with the help of Subway, held a fundraiser to spread awareness for brain aneurysms. They did this to support a fellow student at General McLane that had passed away this past summer due to a brain aneurysm. 

Elise McEldowney was a senior at GMHS, and she worked at the Subway in Edinboro. She loved coming to the football games and dressing up for the many themes the student section would do. She was loved by her friends, family, and by the school. Putting a fundraiser together was a very generous gesture towards McEldowney, her family, and other people affected by aneurysms. 

Subway donated 17% of the sales from the day and put that towards awareness. Diana Spence, the owner of the Subway in Edinboro, had the idea of joining in on the fundraiser. “Elise worked at Subway, and we wanted to be a part of something that could help towards the cause,” Spence said.  She also mentioned that, “There isn’t a number we wanted to reach, it’s more about raising awareness and comfort to Elise’s family.”

The student body also raised awareness by wearing red at the senior night football game. The student section is always a good time and they wanted to show their support for McEldowney while they cheered the football team to a big win against CASH. 

Many students wore red t-shirts that were sold by the soccer and volleyball teams at the school and at the game. The shirt design consists of a heart that has Elise’s name on the inside of it. The proceeds from the shirts will go directly to the McEldowney family.  

The t-shirts will be worn at other red out games throughout the year for various sports.  They are still available for sale in the high school office for $15. In addition to organizing the t shirt sale, the volleyball team also sold red awareness ribbons for their red out game versus Fort LeBouef on Sept. 28.  

As you come to support GM and its athletic teams, wear your red to support brain aneurysm awareness.