New Musical In Town

New Musical In Town

Aiden Dougan, Journalist

Look out GM, we’ve got a new musical in town! It’s back! The musical is finally back! 

Many of you will remember last year when the Theater Program put on “You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown.” Unfortunately, due to COVID, it had to be virtual, but this year is going to be different. Musical directors Bruce and Trish Yates pulled out the big guns this year, and will be putting on the hit musical “Beauty and the Beast.”

Everyone is thrilled about being back in front of a live audience again, none more so than Bruce Yates, who stated, “I am beyond excited. It’s much needed.” 

“Beauty and the Beast” has been a dream show for the Yates’ for upwards of 20 years.  When asked how excited he truly was on a scale of 1-10, Bruce’s answer was very short, simple, and straight to the point, “Eleven,” he declared.

“Beauty and the Beast” is not only one of the most famous musicals, it is one of the most well known and loved movies Disney has ever produced. There are so many well known songs from the show that it is difficult to choose a favorite.  “There’s so many good songs in the show… obviously ‘Be Our Guest’ is iconic. I love the songs ‘No Matter What,’ ‘If I Can’t Love Her,’ and ‘Home,, but if I had to choose one, I think it would be ‘Be Our Guest,’” commented Yates.

The main cast of the musical consists of senior Issac Smith as Beast and senior Julia Esposito as Belle. “Belle was my dream role,” exclaimed Esposito.  “I cried [when I got it] because I was very relieved and excited.”

To complement Smith and Esposito, Freshman Parker Irwin and junior Aiden Dougan will round out the cast as Gaston and Maurice. In addition to these high school students, some eighth graders will also be joining the cast to make the show even better.

So why is this year the year for “Beauty and the Beast”? After waiting 20 long years, what made 2021 the year to pull it out?

“I knew… we had the right students to fit the parts. This is a great show for the group of kids we have at this time, and if we were ever going to do it, this year would be the year to do it,” Yates explained.  

The Yates’ have put on so many great shows, so which has been their favorite?  Bruce replied “Well it’s very hard to pick a favorite because each one has its own strengths and memories. ‘Cats’ would be up there, but it’s very hard to pick just one”.              

There will definitely be challenges considering that we are still in a pandemic, but music brought us together once, and it shall do it again. On November 18, things will kick off, until the 21, when the last show comes. Until then, the Theater Program at General McLane will be hard at work.