Donda: A Review

Jr. Kessler, Journalist

Donda: A Review

By: Jr. Kessler     

A troubled genius and a raving lunatic. These are all names that have been used to refer to the rapper and producer Kanye West. However, this article will not be focusing on his mental state. It will be focusing on his most recent release,”Donda.” This album was a tribute to his mother, who passed away in 2007.

Released on August 29 at 8 a.m, the surprise release was met with mixed reviews from fans and critics alike. People were saying it was anywhere from the greatest album ever released to the worst music ever made. It is the longest album Kanye has ever released, being 32 minutes longer than the second longest, “The College Dropout,”  and having a run time of 1 hour and 48 minutes.

In my opinion, it is a great album, but it is difficult to rank in Kanye’s discography because of the volume of great music he has released. I would rate it an 8.5/10 and say it is the album of the year.

The highs of the album are some of the best songs Kanye has ever made, and the lows of the album are still very good songs, but they don’t measure up with the rest of the album. In my opinion, the best songs on the album were “Moon” and “Off The Grid.”

There were lots of featured artists, and the majority of them were very good especially Fivio Foreign and Don Toliver. However, there were some songs that didn’t feel like they were Kanye songs, and it felt more like it was the featured artists song, like“Keep My Spirit Alive.”

I spoke to sophomore, Ian Salisbury, about his opinion of the album, and he said he would rate it a 7.5/10. He said he enjoyed the majority of the songs on the album, and his favorite song was “Moon.”

I believe that Kanye’s newest album, Donda, is the best album that was released this year, and has some of Kanye’s best songs on it.