Meet The Winter Lancers 21-22

Daniel Bruce, Reporter

With fall sports are coming to an end, the GMHS Lancer winter sports teams are beginning to ramp up for their upcoming seasons. This year our sports teams are hoping to have more success, not just in performance, but in Covid restrictions. The winter sports consist of boys and girls basketball, wrestling, and swimming and diving. 

First off the boys basketball team has started back up open gyms every Tuesday and Thursday, with their first practice planned for November 19. This year’s team is going to have five seniors: Danny Bruce, Dane Jukes, Ian Kennedy, Jeremiah Scrieber, and Brad Weber. Kennedy had some remarks about this year’s seasons, “I think it’s going to go well. I am excited to have more fans back, and it’s going to fly by but, is going to be a fun year to finish out my high school career with the guys.” He also feels that, “this year’s team is going to have a way better attitude towards the team and to every game. Along with that we are going to compete every single day to get better and win a D10 Championship.”  

Along with the guys team the girls basketball team will be on their way soon. “Even though we aren’t having open gyms right now I’m still excited for the pre-season to start and get my senior year on the way,” stated senior Louisa Opp.  Opp is one of four seniors on the team alongside Brooklynn Bowen, Payton Massey, and Avery Van Dyke. “[I am] optimistic about this year, but I am excited to play because the Covid restrictions are not as strict. [I hope we] beat Fort LeBoeuf and to just have a fun senior year,” Opp stated.

Next, the wrestling team has begun pre-season workouts and conditioning practices. Three seniors on the team are Brandon Dedrick, Danny Mulligan, and Jarod Payton. Payton thinks,”This season is going to be a good, fun senior season.” Along with the seniors, underclassman Magnus Loyd, is going to have a good successful season as well because the season last year was not the greatest due to Covid restrictions. A team goal this year is to make it to states and compete every single day so we can challenge our opponents.

Finally, the last winter sport is swimming/diving. The team is currently having Saturday optional practices. This year’s seniors are: Danny Damore, Seth Edmonds, Alec Eisert, and Nathan Englart. Eisert has a few things to say about this season. “Personally this is going to be a fun and successful season. We have a solid swim team and a good diving group,” stated Eisert. With the season starting up pretty soon here in the next month. Eisert thinks that,”The team is going to be a lot closer to each other and I feel like we will be able to compete really well against other schools.” A team goal of theirs is to make and do well at districts. Their first meet is going to be around early December. 

The winter sports teams hope to have the support of the student body when their season starts.  Make sure you come to support your fellow classmates and friends by showing your GM spirit. scanning your QR code for your class, and earning points towards the Lancer cup.