Covid Contingency Plan

Abby Ball, Reporter

On September 22 the district released a temporary remote instruction plan. This plan would be enacted if the school’s COVID numbers rise significantly over the course of fourteen days, prompting a temporary closure.  If this were to occur, Superintendent Dr. Lane would notify families and students as soon as possible.

A closure could last several days or up to two weeks depending upon the school or district’s COVID cases and quarantines.  If this were the case, the district would work in conjunction with the Erie County Department of Health to determine how long the closure will last. Current COVID case numbers and quarantines per building are posted on the district’s website.

If the district or just GMHS has a closure, students will work on a synchronous schedule that will have specific times for logging in everyday. Students at the high school will follow their normal schedule with each class being an hour long with a two hour lunch break. Students will be expected to turn their work in on time and attend all the meetings, for it will count towards daily attendance. The assignments will be posted through S

choology or the elementary school’s version of Schoology, Seesaw.    With technology there are difficulties with going remote that could occur. Several students might not be able to access the internet at home but the school is working with this issue by loaning cellular iPads to those students.

“Because this would be a new approach to remote instruction, we’d also have to make sure that students understand that logging in at the times listed on the schedule is required. If a student fails to log in to his or her classes, that may result in the student being marked absent for that day,” stated the district’s Director of Curriculum and Instruction Steven Karns.

The synchronous schedule was chosen since many students struggled last year with no schedule or routine. The meetings give students an easy way to ask questions and for the teachers to explain to them “face to face” rather than through an email. It also helps teachers get a better understanding of how well their students are comprehending the lessons.

“No one ever wants to shut a school down, but we are committed to doing whatever is in the best interest of student and staff safety,” explained Karns.

Hopefully this plan won’t have to take action this year. Although if it does, the school is ready.