War on Short Shorts Rages On

“As teachers, we’re trying to prepare you for the real world, and that includes how to look and dress professionally and modestly.”

— Ms. Fritchman

As individuals, we like to express ourselves through our actions, interests, and especially our own personal style. What brands or articles of clothing we wear can say a lot about our personality.

At GM, we have the freedom to dress as we like while following a certain dress code, which can be found in the student handbook. According to the Student Dress Code, “All clothing should preserve modesty and reflect an appropriate environment for learning.”

One of the biggest complaints and violations of the dress code are shorts being too short. In the handbook, “All shorts, dresses and skirts must be at, or past, fingertip length.”

Teachers and students alike have their opinions on the current dress code and how they would improve it.

Most students and teachers are aware of the student handbook’s dress code and were able to accurately describe it with ease. According to Mr. Woodward, Civics and Economics teacher, the dress code is “pretty specific and straightforward,” and we are “fortunate for the dress code we have ” because it’s not as “strict as some schools.”

In contrast to this, Ryan Kulka, a freshman, admitted that “sometimes it is [strict],” and Brandon Dudenhoefer, also a freshman, added that he believes,“We should be allowed to wear whatever we want.”

The way students and teachers dress can portray our school and it’s values. Mrs. Mackowski, Associate Principal, thinks that the current dress code is okay as it is.  “It’s not too much to ask students to dress appropriately for school.”
Mr. Korb, Physics and SAT Prep teacher, has a new idea of how we could determine a shorts rule. He thinks it should have to be “so many inches of material,” but he understands this could be harder to enforce.

Both Mr. Woodward and Mrs. Swanson said that they would like to have uniforms. “It would solve a lot of problems.” said Mrs. Swanson. Mrs. Mackowski mentioned that she knows of some schools that do require uniforms, and others that don’t have any specific dress code.

Julia Wasielewski, a junior, believes that for the most part we have a “pretty good dress code.” However, she points out some dress code irony, stating, “It’s too distracting for a girl to show her shoulders, but people can have light-up shoes?”

Given the power, some students would make changes to the dress code.  Senior Kennedy Brown stated that, “I would change the tank top rule.” Makayla Jones, a junior, agreed, saying she “would let us wear tank tops because it’s like 85 degrees outside today and I’m dying.”
Ms. Fritchman, the French teacher, says that she gets a bad reputation for calling people out on their improper attire. “I follow the proper procedure by addressing the situations,” says Ms. Fritchman. The procedure for a dress code violation is for the teacher to write up the student, ask them to change, or go down to the nurse for a change of clothes. “As teachers, we’re trying to prepare you for the real world, and that includes how to look and dress professionally and modestly,” says Ms. Fritchman.
Mrs. Swanson abides by the school policy, but she understands the argument that it can be difficult for students because some get in trouble and others don’t.  “In life some get caught speeding, some don’t. You just have to follow the rules.”